Tuesday 27 May 2008

Honduras






I've just come back from a week in Honduras. I was mainly in Siguatepeque, (half way between Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula) where I was staying with Ken and Sue Vissers, who are LAM Missionaries working with Union Biblica (Scripture Union) Honduras. They run a camp there in a beautiful spot, and have a vision to use it for leadership training. They introduced me to lots of other projects in the town, which could be placements for stride volunteers in the future. These included the children's ministry for UBH, an afterschool programme, CCUH, the Honduran Christian student movement, a (very impressive) Christian hospital and it's outreach programmes, a couple of churches, and a bilingual school. It was also great to be able to help Sue with a few swimming lessons she teaches! (and enjoy a proper size pool!) I finished off the week with a flying visit to Tegucigalpa to meet the executive directors of RedViva, a network of Christian projects working with children throughout central america – giving me lots of contacts to follow up! Watch this space!
(A bit tired now after 13 hour bus trip home!)

No comments: