Friday 9 December 2011

Hopes and Dreams

On Monday in the prison, we talked about Mary´s story - how even though the society had expectations of her (get married and have children), God had plans that were much bigger. I asked the girls what dreams they had -- putting aside what society expected of them, what did they want to acheive. There was a real silence, as they began to consider this. Perhaps many of them had never even thought of what they wanted to acheive in life - just for themselves. Reading their responses later, I was touched by what they had written. Some said ´to get out of this place´, others 'to be a better person´, others ´to see my family again' or 'to bring up my child to have a better life than me'. Others dreamt of being an arquitect or a lawyer. Still others, wrote something down, and kept it - perhaps something so personal that they couldn´t share it, even anonomously. My prayer this week has been that God awakens dreams in their hearts - and gives them a seed of hope that they can actually acheive them.


No comments: