Friday 22 June 2012

Practicing

I´ve eventually finished another book that has been on bedside table for a while.... The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. It´s a small - but very dense book - if you know what I mean.
Brother Lawrence was a french monk in the 1600´s. He quietly worked in the kitchen of the monastery for several years but gained a reputation for his sense of peace and of being in God´s presence in the every day normal stuff of life. People sought out his advice and wanted to know his secret. The book tells some of that.
But there was no magic formula or easy answer. Or rather his secret was simple and easy  - but hard to live.
He talks about merely inviting God into your thoughts at every moment  - and yielding every action to his will. I guess it´s about an frame of mind  - or rather choosing what (or who) to focus on at every moment - so that the external circumstances aren´t the defining factors in how we live our lives or experience God in them.
Lots to think on... and practice.. I think I´ll leave this one on my bedside table.

No comments: