Saturday 24 March 2012

Growing Things

So here´s some random news from my garden - for those of you who are that way inclined. I have to admit that I´m not much of a gardener - I like messing about in the soil - but generally only like plants that cope by themselves and don´t need lots of attention. My friendly neighbour, Alicia is a good gardener - and gave me a few plants to get started a few years ago. Now, after 4 years and a severe cut back a few months ago, this peach tree is at last flowering! Hopefully that might mean some fruit this year too.

 Same with the roses -- after a lot of thorns, now some actual flowers.

 Banana plant is growing steadily. No fruit so far.
It would be great to grow lots of veggies -- but I haven´t found anywhere here that sells seeds, so am reduced to those plants that can grow from whatever I buy in the market -- I´ve eaten a few good potatoes from the garden - and got some more growing. I think here in Guatemala, I could probably have potatoes all year round. The pineapple hasn´t done much though - and all the pepper plants have died -- but I might try those again during the rainy season and see how they do.

No comments: