Friday 18 November 2011

Wedding times


On Saturday I went to a wedding of some friends. I knew it was an hours journey away, so I left with plenty of time. Unfortunately my bus decided to wait for half an hour in one of the towns on the way, so I was getting a bit worried that I was going to be late - but I figured that in Guatemala I would probably have half an hours grace. I got off the bus at the Restaurant Hacienda Real -- only to realise that the wedding was actually taking place in Restaurant Hacienda - a few kms further on. Now being 45 mins late, I was just about to get on the next bus coming past, when I noticed a car stopping and Wendy (the bride) getting out -- So maybe I wasn´t going to be too late after all! So I squeezed in the back seat with her family and flowers etc, and they gave me a lift. We drove round to the back of the Restaurant - where she joined her bridemaids getting changed in the toilets! And I needn´t have worried about lateness.... it was another hour before the wedding actually started. (And then people were still arriving half way through the service!). In the car I had said I thought I was going to be late. Wendy (who studied in the states for a couple of years) explained that in Guatemala it´s almost a tradition for the bride to keep the groom waiting --  "Don't they do that in England as well?"  Yes I said, but only for about 5 minutes!

And it´s funny how sometimes you think that you´ve got a culture figured out - and then it surprises you again. Guatemalans like to make speeches -- it seems to me for even the most trivial of reasons. Birthday parties are not complete without every person making a speech (even if you don´t really know the person celebrating their birthday). Baby showers include a sermon and a few speeches. They hold graduation ceremonies for finishing secondary school, or primary school, or kindergarden (seriously!) and even for one day courses! So I figured there would be at least one speech at the wedding too - but no. Not even from the father of the bride.  I keep learning.


No comments: