Wednesday 30 April 2008

Fish Food

I've just got back from Chiquimula - which is in the East of Guatemala, about 4 hours away from where I live. I was visiting one of the Striders who is working the student movement there. I stayed with her with the host family that she's with. There, most houses have an open water tank - from which they scoop out water to wash the dishes and sometimes clothes. In their house the tank was about twice the size of a normal bath, and they actually keep fish in it! This seems to be normal in Chiquimula. The reason is that the mosquitos lay their eggs in standing water - but the fish eat the eggs so it helps to keep the mosquitos under control. (In the meantime, they continue to use the water to wash up with.) It seemed to work - I didn't see any mosquitos - but unfortunately it wasn't quite so effective with all the other biting insects which dined on my legs!!!!

No comments: