Wednesday 22 February 2017

Plastic Fast Update 1 - Toiletries


So it´s been nearly 2 months since I decided to give up plastic this year. In very general terms, I´m trying not to bring any new plastic into the house, although reusing what I´ve already got. So as I gradually run out of things that come in plastic containers, I´m looking for other alternatives..... here´s a few I´ve encountered already....


Toothpaste comes in a plastic tube, which can´t be reused or recycled. Instead I´ve found a natural toothpaste that comes in a glass pot - the taste takes a bit of getting used to.... so next time, I might try to make my own toothpaste (thank you internet!). I´m also on the look-out for bamboo toothbrushes.

Deoderant is another thing that comes in plastic packaging, that doesn´t seem to be able to be recycled. Instead I´ve found deoderant stone - which comes in a nice fabric bag - and has a huge number of other advantages. The stone is completely organic, doesn´t leave any marks, is odourless and is just as protective as other deoderants. 

And then there´s shampoo. My sister suggested going the 'no-poo' route - ie stop hairwashing altogether, as left to it´s own devices, your hair and scalp will naturally clean themselves. It can be a bit of a process to get there though, and I´m not convinced that it could deal with regular chlorine and /or salt water submersion!  So for the meantime, I´ve found shampoo bars (ie solid shampoo like a bar of soap), and have cut down the frequency of hairwashing... working towards the no-poo method in the future.

In a couple of weeks, I´ll give you an update on food purchases.







No comments: