Monday 2 January 2017

Plastic Free 2017

So ..... New Years Resolutions ???? 

Over the last few months, I´ve been thinking about how I care for the environment, and particularly the impact of the rubbish that I create. I already refuse plastic bags from the supermarket, and buy most of my food from the market, where it is not covered in overenthusiastic packaging, however, it is always good to challenge yourself to go further, and not to get complacent. 

I´ve had a few conversations with people about plastic bottles - often with people extolling the virtues of plastic because it can be recycled. But, however much we recycle it, the material itself is toxic as most plastics are made with petroleum. When there´s a oil slick or spillage in the ocean, we are rightly outraged about the environmental destruction it causes, yet we don´t seem all that bothered about the plastic soups that have developed in every ocean on earth, even though they are causing similar destruction to marine life and have a knock on effect on the rest of our eco-systems. 

The example of new laws in San Pedro (see previous blog) inspired me to think about what should be my next steps in caring for the environment. 

So I´ve decided... by the end of 2017, I want to have given up using plastics. 
At this point in time, I have no idea how easy or difficult that is going to be. Last month, I bought myself an orange squeezer, so I can make my own orange juice, rather than buy bottled juice. That bit was easy. But I have no idea if here in Guatemala, there are any places where I can buy shampoo to refill my own bottles???  - or if there are alternative solutions to any of the many other ways in which I presently use plastic. But I at least want to try. 

I´m slightly scared to publish this, as that means that I´ll have to keep to this endeavour, even if it proves difficult, but somehow I think more is at stake than my reputation. 
I´ll let you know how I get on.

No comments: