Tuesday 25 October 2011

going to prison

Recently I´ve started to work in a prison for girls, and I´m really enjoying it. It´s good to get back to doing 'youthwork' - but it´s quite different from everything I´ve done before. The girls are between 14 and 17 years old, although some of them also have their babies or young children with them. Initially I was only allowed to preach - without any kind of participation or interaction from the girls. Now the Director has grown to trust me a bit (I think) and I´m allowed to do more interactive discussions which has been great.
But there´s strange limitations in working in a prison. The most obvious, is that I´m not allowed to use anything that the girls could take and use as a weapon.... so no pens and paper. But then there´s other limitations that aren´t so obvious. So far the girls have had a varied response to what I´ve done. Some have been very quiet and not given any sort of verbal response. Others can be quite talkative - and always want to answer the questions --- perhaps like any other group. But there is always lots of 'right answers'. Even when I make a big thing of explaining that I´m interested in their real opinions etc, somehow people always come to the perceived right answers really quickly.
Let me explain...... most of the time, I think there aren´t many 'right answers' - what I mean is that I think there is much more benefit in an honest discussion, with all the messy disagreements and inconsistent opinions, than in the tidy polished religious answers. Mostly I think that the answers that 'religion' gives, are inadequate - or answering completely irrelevant questions. For me, our real journey of faith is found in the struggling with issues and questions and the search for God in that - often he answers us with mystery and further questions rather than answers!
So anyway - back to the prison, I don´t know whether it is simply because of the guards who are lurking nearby that prevents the girls being honest, or a much bigger issue of religiousness here in Guatemala, where many people memorize huge chunks of the Bible - but can´t ever put it into their own words because they don´t actually understand what they´re memorising.
But it´s good. It´s a challenge for me to think of new ways to encourage the girls to open up, and to communicate with them something of God´s heart for them - not the neat and tidy answers - but the unconditional and uncontrolable love that he has for them. I keep praying.

1 comment:

Gemma said...

Hey Suzanne, just wanted to say I really appreciated this post...it's so true that there are so often no right answers...I love how you wrote that "our real journey of faith is found in the struggling with issues and questions and the search for God in that - often he answers us with mystery and further questions rather than answers!" So relevant to my journey at the moment. So thanks for the encouragement!

And your work with those girls in the prison sounds amazing, and intense. I will be praying. You're amazing. Wish I could be there.