Thursday 15 January 2009

Cuba -friends


Some friends took me to the Canonazo at La Cabana - when local actors dress up and re-enact the firing of the cannon - my friends explained that it had first been instigated by the British who briefly occuped Cuba in 1762 - but it turned out to be the spanish before that who started it (although it was tipping with rain so it felt fairly British to me!!). The Cannon was fired at 8pm every day to signal the locking of the city gates - essentially a curfew.
They also took me for a swim. The beach resorts were too far away so we went to some friends, whose house is directly on the coast. It was fantastic to swim above coral and watch all the fishes. I was thinking how great it would be to live there - when the owner explained that it has it's ups and downs - the hosue next door was swept away in the Hurricane of 2005!

No comments: