Tuesday 4 March 2008

Settling In





So I now live in a Condominium in Guatemala. I wasn´t really sure what a Condominium is but it´s basically a gated street, giving an extra level of protection to the residents. To me it´s an odd thing to come to Guatemala as a missionary and then live behind a high wall and solid iron gate, but it seems that Condominiums are the only housing being built here at the moment. As they go, the one I´m in is quite small and unassuming, some have gate houses and security guards. Maybe it´s a sign of a growing middle class or the continuing fear of violence after a long civil war (which ended in the late 90´s) that would explain the ´No Fire Arms´signs outside some of the supermarkets! Whatever the reason for the growth of Condominiums, one of the good things is that people seem to get to know their neighbours well.


It´s been strange buying new furniture for my new house here. I´ve never bought any furniture before, I´ve always had second hand or borrowed stuff. I guess in England there´s so much surplus ´stuff´, that it´s easy to take advantage of it. Here people don´t throw things away quite so easily.


I moved into the house on Thursday night and Rodolfo and Sary came over to pray for me in the house. I suddenly felt very overwhelmed, that the things that God had put in my heart over 20 years ago, are now coming about. I´m so excited about all the posibilities here.

No comments: